Many churches offer what is called Trunk or Treat, as an alternative solution to trick or treating on Halloween. It is safer than going house to house. Church members dress up the trunks of their cars with a theme, line up all the cars in the church parking lot and hand out candy. The church we attend was having one and we signed up. They also were having a contest to win prizes for certain categories. Unfortunately it rained, so we each set up two chairs inside instead.
Our theme was pirates, but I focused more on the treasure part. Thankfully we had leftovers from Hallister's pirate party. I put out two scrolls with verses Matthew 6:19 and Matthew 6:20, "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." In our treasure chest along with "gold bars" I put our million dollar tracts. (They look real, but on the back is the "million dollar question", Will you go to Heaven when you die? Here's a quick test......and it runs through the ten commandments and makes the person reading understand that if they disobey the commandments they are guilty and headed for Hell. But that is not God's will for us to go to Hell. That is why He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross and commute our death sentence.) It was interesting to see the kids get the money and think it is real and be excited, then their facial expressions changed to confusion and "Aww man." I think it was a good representation of people looking for satisfaction with money or other material things. They satisfy for a little while but then they dry up we fill empty again. Our preacher has talked on this a lot lately, you can't dabble in the world and God, you have to follow one or the other. The only thing that will truly satisfy is a relationship with Jesus Christ. I was praying as the kids were taking the candy and tracts that they and their parents would understand.

It ended up I won the "Most Christian" category. We got Rudolph antlers and a nose TO PUT ON OUR CAR! So yes that is right people, come Christmas time we will be arriving Rudolph style in the burb.It was a lot of fun and we will probably do it again next year!



No comments:
Post a Comment