Sunday, July 27, 2014

Homeschool

Hallister had a great year in half day Preschool at Castleman Creek Elementary, the school right beside our house.  At the beginning of the year I was thinking this is great, he will be at school 12:30-3:00 while Liberty naps. I'll get time with Preston and get to do work during that time.

We attended a Lifegroup through our church and they homeschooled their four children. I was thinking more power to you, not for me.

Then as we got into the year I missed Hallister, and it became annoying to have to remember a certain time get all three kids out of the house.  Most days I would have to wake Liberty up from her nap to walk over and get Hallister.  I wondered what he was learning, not necessarily from his teacher, but from the other students.  And the Lord really started to work on my heart about homeschool.  My "no way" was starting to become a "maybe".

I sat down at the beginning of the year and was trying to think what gets me stressed.....it's getting out of the house with all three kids! I always have to look.... do they have drinks, do they have shoes on, diaper bag with epi pen and Lib's foods.....whatever time we have to be somewhere I have to start loading the car thirty minutes before or we are late. So I talked to another friend of mine Shira who homeschools to get the low-down on curriculum. I asked a friend of mine who bought Jamberry from me about why she homeschools.  She said because at her friend's school, where her daughter went to elementary, Planned Parenthood (known for performing abortions) came and talked and handed out pamphlets. Umm....no didn't want him to be subjected to that. Also, a friend of ours whose son goes to Castleman Creek, where Hall would be going, was bullied and threatened with a gun. Plus, instead of Midway school district giving raises to teachers they bought all the students of every grade iPads AND are building a $60 million dollar indoor football facility. Really? That is not money well spent.

I just don't want to subject Hallister to any of that.  I just feel like homeschool is the way to go, which I never, ever thought I would be saying or doing.  Now that our curriculum arrived in the mail and Hallister opened it up and was excited, that got me excited too.  We decided on Al About Reading, Handwriting Without Tears, Saxon Math and Sonlight Bible and History. I am very excited to teach him to read and say "I did that"!

I am not worried about him not socializing. We have our church family we see every week.  We have playdates every other week. Plus Hallister will go to a homeschool co-op on Fridays!  He will get to learn farming (go to a real farm), art, history, and it will be like a normal school day. So once a week we will get out and I know he will enjoy those classes.

So this is where we are at and how we came to that conclusion.  I'm glad we can get our 2 hours of school done each morning and go to the museum or Zoo in the afternoon, fun stuff.  Because you know public school has fillers with recess, lunch, walking to classes....Next year we can always re-evaluate, but for now, homeschool here we come!

No comments: