Sunday, July 11, 2010

Preston Conner Senn

He's here!!!!!!! So after a long, long, long, long wait our second son arrived July 6th at 4:39pm. I guess having an extra 10 days to cook allowed him time to grow another pound and a half. He was 8lbs 5oz and 20.5" long. Of course upon seeing him we immediately compared him to Hallister. He was shorter and chunkier than Hall, but most importantly very healthy. Birth Story - Let me back track though and tell you about his arrival. After our appointment July 5th it was decided that I would have a scheduled c-section at noon on the 6th. I was disappointed that Preston would would not be choosing his own birthday but we were very ready to meet him. So I wake up Tuesday morning to find that I am leaking water. This really excited me that we may shot at a VBAC. I called my midwife and she said to make sure the baby is moving but that contractions need to start so the baby will drop into position. She called back later to tell me that I needed to go ahead to the hospital to start the antibiotics for Group B Strep. This is something I have but it does not affect me, only the baby. I needed to go through 2 doses of medicine before the c-section. Upon arriving at the hospital I went to check in and was drinking water from a water bottle. The lady looked puzzled and asked if anyone had told me that I should not eat or drink after midnight. I said no. She said she would have to phone my doctor and that the c-section would need to get pushed back since I also had had breakfast. I got a room and they started to administer the antibiotics. I did have some contractions but they were not consistent. My midwife came in to check me at 3:30pm and said the baby was still not engaged in my pelvis. So on to surgery we went. I was glad at least this time I knew what to expect, although I received a spinal instead of an epidural, so I would not be able to feel from my chest down for 3 hours. The anesthesiologist was entertaining. He talked to us about taking his kids to go see Toy Story 3, even their 10 day old daughter. This was a nice distraction. Finally he told us they were about to pull the baby out. We heard the doctor and my midwife say Wow when they broke the water and were vacuuming it out. Apparently there was a lot still left. Then we heard the most awesome sound of Preston crying. He had healthy lungs that is for sure. Christy held him up over the drapery so I could see and I could tell he was going to weigh a lot. Finally Jonathan had him in his arms and brought him over so I could touch him. We then went to recovery and it was very hard to hear Preston cry. I was not able to nurse him until about an hour after surgery for risk of getting a spinal headache if I set up too soon since I could not feel my legs. Finally I was able to sit up just enough to at least hold him and then to finally nurse. He ate for 45 minutes! We finally got a postpartum room and got to enjoy just staring at our new bundle of joy and to study all his features. We feel very blessed. Name - Jonathan's Grandmother's brother was killed in WWII and his name was Preston, so that is who he is named after. I chose Conner for the middle name because it means wise. He is going to need wisdom having Hall as an older brother. :) We look forward to sharing more news on how our boys are getting along soon.

No comments: