In August I started homeschooling Hallister. We did Saxon Math, All About Reading and Handwriting without Tears. He also attended a co-op on Fridays where he took Unit Studies, History and a Farm Class. He really likes his classes and made a good friend through them that we have play dates with.
As part of the co-op one parent has to volunteer 6 hours. I chose lunch duty so 6 different times I helped the kids during lunch and helped to clean up. It was really neat to see Hallister be a leader with his new friend, always leading the way to a table for them to sit. The environment was peaceful. I love how the director chose one student to pray before lunch started. Each time I picked Hall up he showed me something he made and talk about his day with enthusiasm.
I still can't believe I said I would never home school. Never say never. It's like every time the thought of putting Hall in the school next to our house entered my mind I would see on the news something about a stabbing or abuse or bullying. Even the school next to us had a man with a gun on campus. That school is just so big. I didn't want Hallister to become a number. I know we can't protect them from everything, and we may do public school eventually, just not in this season.
In October I decided designing the Iowa Kids and Wedding directories, Jamberry and homeschool was all too much. I gave my notice for the directories that I just could not design them any more. I wondered how much longer she would be in business anyway since after 3 years they were still just 16 pages. When I designed the Waco Kids Directories we went up to 40 pages some deadlines.The next month I found out the Iowa publisher closed her business, so I would not have continued to
design them anyway.
October was also a hard month because some dear friends of ours decided to get divorced. Jonathan and I both went to the custody hearing. That was the most brutal thing to sit through to see our friends who had been married for 11 years tear other's character apart. I left their feeling I had left a funeral, mourning the loss of this friendship of a couple we were so close to, and now feeling like we had to choose sides. To this day the divorce is still not final. They are both fighting for full custody.
The only "good" that has come out of it is talks Jonathan and I have had to make sure we keep our marriage strong, regularly take retreats, keep God first, marriage second, kids third. We definitely don't want things to fall apart once the kids leave.
In November I promoted to Executive with Jamberry! That meant that I had two Team Managers on my team, sold $8000 as a team and $30,000 in my downline of 180 people. Directly "under" me I had 20 consultants and then the other 160 people were from their team branching out. I manage my own team page on Facebook called You're In Good Jams. It is a group where we support each other and encourage one another. I offer incentives if my team reaches certain goals. I love all the friendships I have made with Jamberry and I'm looking forward to National conference in Dallas in July.
It is still amazing to think I have a degree in Architecture and I design nail wraps now. Ha! But there is still a consistent demand out there. By hosting Facebook parties, at least 3 a month, I am able to continually meet new people and to maintain rank I must sell $700 a month in Jamberry. I average $1000 in sales monthly though and really aim for that as my minimum. I am very thankful for this business that brings in an income and provides me with an outlet. We have been able to go on mini-vacations and pay for homeschool curriculum with my Jam income.
In December we really debated on traveling to Austin Christmas. Remembering all we need to bring, especially with Liberty's allergies, is such a task. My women's intuition kicked in though that we needed to see Paw Paw. We didn't know when it would be his last day. The kids had not seen him in quite a while. We arranged to stay with my sister and go for a visit before heading to Austin Christmas with my Dad's side of the family.
I am so glad we got in those last moments. 3 weeks later Paw Paw passed away. The timing was orchestrated interestingly on MLK day. Luther's famous words were ringing out for PawPaw that day, "Free at last, free at last." He is now free.



No comments:
Post a Comment